My Blog List

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ethiopian Food

Thank you Jessica from the bottom of my heart!

My food world just got a little bit bigger. One small step from Capitol Hill, Seattle ; One giant leap for this girl!!

I have been waiting so many years to try Ethiopian food. Today was my lucky day! After a successful Costo run, a frustrating gas station experience, my running partner Jessica decided today was the day.

I was freezing, muddy, cranky & hungry. Perfect time for me to try new food. The utensil free cuisine has always intrigued me and the grey-hued Injera bread was a mystery ( made with Teff flour, which I now use on a regular basis). To my happiness, the restaurant was not only was friendly, but VEGAN friendly. Woo-Hoo! Apparently Ethiopians have an Orthodox Muslim tradition that forbids them from eating any animal products Monday, Wednesday & Friday, as well as on certain holidays.

Jessica ordered the vegetarian platter to share and we each got Ethiopian tea. The service was fine, the food prepared quickly. Nom Nom! I think we will have to make a date to eat here at LEAST once a month.

This is what I think I ate.
terkik Alitcha - split peas prepared with light sauce
Atkilt Wot - cabbage, carrots, potatoes simmered in sauce
Atkilt Salata - boiled potatoes, jalapeno mixed in salad dressing
Buticha - chickpea dip mixed with lemon juice

Gomen - collard green cooked to perfection with spices
Misir Wot - pureed split red lentil are simmered berbere sauce
Misir Alitcha - pureed split red lentil are simmered in mild sauce Shimbra Asa - chickpeas flour dumplings & cooked in wot Shiro Alitcha - mild split peas are milled together & slow cooked